Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Cloth Diapering 101 (washing)

The next thing I would like to share in cloth diapering 101 is how I wash them.  I know many people have diferent opinions on this.

I found the best way is to wash them out with cold water right after I changed my son. From there I would put them in a wet bag until I had enough to wash a load. If you are not going to wash them right away be sure to rinse in COLD water to prevent bacteria from growing on them by using hot water.

When I had enough for a load I would be sure to pull out all the inserts and put them through another COLD rinse cycle in the washing machine to be sure to rinse anything I might have missed when I rinsed them by hand. After you have done this rinsing, you can add some of your regular clothes to the load if you choose, but I personally recommend washing diapers all by themselves.

Next you will wash through a regular cycle with HOT water.  Be sure to only use soap free of dyes and perfumes.  If you use detergent with these things in them, it will cause build up on the diapers and cause the diapers to leak.

Once they are done washing. You can either dry them on a drying rack, put them in the dryer, or hang outside.  I usually would dry them in the dryer on LOW heat setting.  And I would have to dry then twice to get them good and dry. 

You can also hang them outside for the best way to dry them.  The sun acts as a natural bleaching agent if there are any stains left on them.  But it was not always convenient for me personally to dry them outside. 


What detergents do you use?

No comments:

Post a Comment